1. What are propane characteristics?
• Propane is transported and stored as a liquid.
• Propane (sometimes called LPG or LP-gas) is a colorless and odorless gas.
• Since propane is odorless, it is intentionally odorized so leaks can be detected.
• The odor is similar to rotten eggs. Call the Railroad Commission’s Alternative Fuels Division at (800) 64-CLEAR for a free “scratch-and-sniff” pamphlet that can help familiarize you, your family, and your co-workers with the smell of propane.
• Propane vapors are heavier than air and may accumulate in low-lying areas such as basements and ditches or along floors.
• Propane is flammable when mixed with air (oxygen) and can be ignited by many different sources