Consumers LP Gas Co.
11. What are some tips in case of a weather emergency?
Take these steps to protect your family and property before and after a flood, hurricane or severe storm.
• Getting ready for a flood or hurricane:
• Properly secure the propane tank, if possible.
• Turn off the gas supply valve at the tank (“righty, tighty.”)
• Fasten the protective dome on the tank.
• Turn off appliance pilot lights, control valves and manual shut-off valves.
• Ensure there is an adequate supply of fuel in the tank.
• After the flood or hurricane has passed, look for visible structural damage, including damaged external venting and vent caps.
Call your propane dealer or a qualified technician if:
• You smell propane gas.
• Your propane tank has shifted or moved.
• The tank regulator has been exposed to water.
• The gas lines are broken, bent, damaged or have pulled away from the propane tank or appliances.
• Propane appliances or their controls have been exposed to water.